The Downside of Granite Countertops
They are also in need of regular maintenance to retain their beauty. Manufacturers recommend using a special penetrating sealer every six months which must be polished to work properly. If this step is omitted, the countertops quickly dull and can easily become stained. In order to protect them, liquids that contain either acids or alcohol must be kept off the countertop to avoid etching the granite finish.
Between seals and polishes, cleaning must be done exclusively with granite-safe cleaners. Heavy pots and pans or stone pottery can chip and permanently damage your expensive kitchen addition. Repairing imperfections due to use is troublesome and generally remains visible to the eye.
If a stainless steel sink is chosen, it may be very expensive to replace when you have a granite countertop installed. Home owners find that they must completely remove the countertop and any granite back splash. This can be a very expensive project.
Are There Affordable Alternatives To Granite?
With Unique Stone Resurfacing™, homeowners have many colors, texture and finishing choices to truly customize their kitchen look. Kitchen makeovers don’t have to cost a fortune and they stay looking good for years since the countertop can be easily repaired.
The Pros Of Granite Countertops
- In a nutshell, professionals like granite in kitchens because it is:
- A very hard material that resists damage by sharp tools and is not easily scratched.
- Capable of handling very hot pots without damage to the countertop.
- Unique due to the wide array of colors and patterns that natural occur in the stone.
The Cons Of Granite Countertops
- A porous material that is riddled with tiny holes where bacteria can grow.
- Necessary to seal on a regular basis.
- Almost impossible to repair once damage has been sustained.
- Difficult to cut to match up seams.
- Readily stained by citrus, alcohol, and acidic liquids.
- Sometimes a repository of radon and can be a source of unwanted radiation within your home.
If you have a Vision We will help you to turn it into reality
Please Leave Us a Review
Unique Stone Resurfacing
Unit 109 PMB 232
Sarasota, FL 34232